Monday, September 5, 2011

Hello Fall 2011

So it's been forever since I've last blogged. Ok, I am not so good at blogging in general, since my last post was in, what, December? I'm the worst :( But I'm here now, and isn't that what's important?

I just got back from a trip to Omaha with Joe, and had a great time creeping around the sites and sounds of Conor Oberst's home city. Although I don't much care for Bright Eyes anymore ("Blasphemy" as my sister Paige would say), I was still impressed with the city's urban feel but Mid-Western size. We visited Joe's mother's (Sharon Boynton) art studio, (that's her sculpture "Omage" in downtown Omaha, to the right), as well as various dive bars, and a Whole Foods. Apparently, Omaha has one of the densest grocery store "scenes" in the U.S. Hmmmmmmmm, we'll have to check that one out.

But I had a Runza for the first time ever, which, if you didn't already know, is a little doughy bread pocket filled with combinations of beef or pork, onions, sauerkraut, and seasonings. They are apparently very popular in Nebraska According to the Runza franchise, they were brought to the United States by the Volga German immigrants back in the 1800s. The franchise started up in 1949. Take a look at exactly what I'm talking about here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Runza_Restaurants.

I didn't think they were that great, but after being bombarded with suggestions that "You HAVE to try them!" from my Nebraska relatives, and now my significant other, I gave in. My advice: throw on a little Heinz ketchup and you've got yourself some drive-thru goodness that could challenge the burger.

It is good to be back in Iowa though, and to get on with the week. As I get more time, I will be updating more regularly, especially since my Emerging Instructional Technologies class is going to be blogging too. I hope everyone had a splendid Labor Day!

Ciao,

Ali

No comments:

Post a Comment